October 19, 2014

Blog Post 7

        The pattern that can be found in the process of bridge building is not a detailed, structured pattern, but rather, more of the reasoning behind making the bridges. I believe it is about starting at one point of knowledge on a topic. From there, the bridge is built through observation, technique, learning from the knowledge of others, and interests. The final destination that the bridge hopes to seek is a deeper and more meaningful understanding and appreciation of the topic that was initially questioned. I was inspired to believe this by reading the first page of chapter 4 in Ayers's book that stated "Teaching is often bridge-building. Beginning on one shore with the knowledge, experience, know-how, and interests of the student, the teacher moves toward broader horizons and deeper ways of knowing." I believe that this really sums up the ideas regarding bridge building. Rather than the premise of it being a process from question to an answer or a problem to a solution, it is much more abstract and the answer might not be tangible. Much like the title of To Teach: A Journey, in Comics, both bridge building and teaching is all about the journey and less focused on the end result. Two examples could include the transition from high school to college or a teenager to young adult, and going from just the teacher to being someone that the students respect and enjoy as a mentor in the classroom.
        As a teacher, I want to do math and science. In science class, if I have the option to do this at the school I am at, I would like to incorporate a number of lessons into a garden project. We could plant flowers and vegetables and see how they react to, for example, pH levels, climate or temperature, the sun, plants around it, or the way that you place the plant. I feel that this could get the kids excited about being able to go outside and play a little while also teaching them in a way that will not feel like learning for them. 
       In chapter 7 (pages 98-99) of To Teach, he lists eight specific things to keep in mind as a teacher, and I think they are very useful. I will expand on these points that he gives us to develop my guide.

  1. Creative Insubordination- By this, I believe Ayers is saying that sometimes in order to accomplish what you want to accomplish, as a teacher you need to take some liberties. You might not follow the rules to a tee, but the kids are able to learn in creative and interactive ways. I think this was highlighted in the skits that we did earlier in the semester. 
  2. Finding Allies- Teaching not only involves connecting with the students but also the parents, other teachers, and the administration of the school. If you are trying to learn why a student might not be doing well in the class, having a good relationship with the parents could help in constructively speaking about solutions. In this example, the student would quickly get support on all ends, making it much easier to pinpoint the problem that is preventing their success. Both with the other teachers and also the administration, if you run into a problem, talking to other people that might have already dealt with that circumstance could quickly guide you to a way to fix it.
  3. Criticism- Always being open to what others say and believe is a very positive way to teach. The field of education is always shifting and evolving and being aware that others may know better than you could help the transition into new curriculum or ways of teaching to be much more smooth. Much like the importance of making allies, accepting what those allies have to say is a key piece of the puzzle.
  4. Self-Criticism- This particular topic really gave me incite into teaching. It states, "The mystery of teaching keeps me on my toes." "If teachers are never self-critical, they will become dogmatic, losing their capacity for renewal and growth." "If they're too self-critical, they become powerless and timid. Balance and clarity is key." I thought that these were such powerful points to make. As a teacher, I will keep these in my mind everyday and understand that I need to be confident in my ability to teach each bright mind that enters my classroom, but also realize that I cannot expect epiphanies to occur every class period.
  5. Learning From Your Own Experience- It is important to always remember the history that you have had with teachers. If there are any specific things that I have not liked or certain teaching styles that did not work for me as a student, I will try to use those to better myself. Along with that, if a certain teacher acted in a way that helped me excel one year, I will try to use those same techniques to reach my own students.
  6. Authentic Friendship- While I really want to be able to connect with my students, I am aware that there is a level of authority that the teacher needs to hold in the classroom. While in an ideal world, the teacher would be able to be a title that does not deal with discipline or dealing with classroom management, teachers need to be able to occasionally let the students know that they have the authority in the classroom. Students can act out and cause disruptions and it is not fair to allow one child to take away from the learning experience of the other 20+ children in the room. 
  7. Linking Consciousness to  Conduct- As Ayers states, "Teaching toward something better requires involvement in families, communities, neighborhoods, society." By this, he is saying that instead of avoiding and ignoring the problems that exist in the real world, inviting the problems to live in the classroom can help the kids find ways to fix them. If they can creatively discuss how the issues in society could be changed, the classroom becomes a way to see how the world could be a better place.
  8. Balance and Clarity- As a teacher, there are so many tragedies and suggestions that are constantly surrounding you. I hope to be able to see what values I want my classroom to reflect and teach and work with the students to incorporate them. Using the previous points, I hope to uncover the best way that I see to benefit the learning environment that I create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment