September 19, 2014

Blog Post 3

     In class this week we talked a lot about making the classroom inviting and comfortable, both in the layout of the room itself and how the teacher can encourage learning in the setting. Ayers describes and shows the way that he has his classroom set up, but when I read it, I had a hard time with it. While he was able to use his desk as a learning tool rather than for himself, this is an example of something that might not always be an option for every teacher. If the school regulates or prefers a certain classroom model, the teacher has to work with what is given to them. 
     This made me wonder if it is possible for a classroom to look traditional but still create a fun and comfortable environment. In my opinion, it can and it does. The classrooms that I experienced in grade school were all set up in a similar manner, with rows and columns of desks. While the room looked like any other, I had one teacher who allowed us to make it our own. We had our own cubby areas, our lockers, and our mail boxes. She allowed any resources in the classroom to be open and accessible for anyone. If we wanted to use the stapler, she told us that we could go into her desk and get it without having to ask. So while the desk was still hers and had her belongings in it, we were allowed access to them without question. 
     I think that it is less about the classroom and how it is set up and more about the teacher and how open they are. While I think that, for example, a specific place in the classroom set aside that has a more relaxing space for reading and quiet time would be ideal, I am accepting of the fact that it is not always an option. I think that every new teacher should go into whatever space they are given and make it their own. I believe they can do this without moving any furniture at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment